Sunday, August 19, 2007

Boss.

Previously, I have thought that my boss is just a random guy mucking around, haunting people and getting people to work.

But, after an extremely short-staffed Saturday, I was forced to eat my words.

The Boss that I thought to be, was more than a Boss.

He's part of the team.

When customers and loads begin to outnumber the current staff at hand (The usual Saturday. Note that NO penalty rates apply on Saturday. Great time to get work, since no one else likes working on Saturdays), every single hand was needed.

When I saw the boss helping the guys in the Long-Life department (The guys who are in charge of restocking just about every other thing), I was deeply surprised. While he did not actually restock the items, he did "face" them up, which is to bring the items to the most frontal part of the shelf so that it looks "nice" (While at the same time, concealing the fact that there is nothing behind that stack which you see.)

Ah well, I guess he is the boss after all.

However, to see him continuously checking on our progress and helping out where ever he can is nice.

There was this time when my team and I was doing the freezer stuff, but because we were so busy, we just placed anything that won't go into the freezer on the floor. When the boss came over to our end, he just picked up the Ice-cream we left on the floor and stuffed it into the fridge and walked off without saying a word. While the entire team thought that we were screwed, myself included, he did not say a single word on that issue.

Of course, instead, he just told us to keep milk looking good (ie, well stocked) the next time we met. By the way, Milk is a huge seller here in Australia. Aussies just LOVE their milk. While there is a huge range and brands of milk, keeping them well stocked despite their huge amounts can be a challenge. I could be refilling a section of the milk (At least 50 bottles) within 2 hours during a really busy time.

But then again, I guess even the boss has his own pressure. He definitely has a profit target to meet (and to make him look good so he can go upwards too, maybe). However, what did impress me was that instead of sitting in his office or hounding at us peons, he actually helped us out during our time of need.

A part of the team?

Maybe.

---

Strangely, my song on the blog has not been updated for a while. However, there just isn't any half-arsed decent songs these days which I seriously like. It's sad, but I guess that's how the music industry is these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home